Several years ago, we had a birthday party for Mayra at the then recently opened Stone Rose lounge at the Time Warner Center. The music was great, the drinks were overpriced, the view was priceless and the people around us were better looking than we were. Our friend Corey, who loves sexy, new things, deemed it a "Sexy 10". Later that night, we decided (wrongly) to keep it moving and headed crosstown to a place I won't name, but let's just say that The music was horrible, the drinks were well and the people around us had drank even more than we had! I looked at Corey and he says "We went from Sexy 10, to Sexy -2". The Sexy Scale was born. So, we don't use "sexy" in relation to weddings much, but there is so much out there that is NEW, Chic, and a little, well, "sexy" that I thought I'd post a Sexy 10.
1. A Tiny Wedding at the Suite at the Soho Grand Hotel Please take a look at how sexy this place is. The roof can be tented, but you can imagine if it wasn't. The Soho grand offers a basic, all inclusive package for around 20K, which includes the suite itself and then food and beverage for a reception. It's unconventional, but it sure is sexy! Ask for Yvonne in group sales for specific info.
2. The Chameleon Chair. This is "The New Hotness" for chairs. Many girls at the New York Magazine Weddings showcase were quite literally DROOLING over our chameleons. Previously they were only available on the west coast, and were used at the Govenor's Ball and various Oscar parties and exclusive events. They are now available here in New York through Classic Party Rentals. I'm attaching some footage of our table from the NY mag event so you can see them in action, but if you are into it, budget between $12 and $20 a chair and give Julia Dash a call!
3. Cameo and Black. As a color combo, I'm in love. It's feminine, yet sexy. We had planned on doing this for our table at NY Magazine, when we got our new issue of Martha Stewart Weddings and found that it was their pallete choice as well. Here you can see how we did it up, with poor photography, and check out the Chameleon chair as well.
4. Alex Woo Jewelry! Woo HOO! I love it!! This is the cutest, but sexiest jewelry line I've seen in ages. Her little numbers and letters are adorable, and she carries little symbols like ace of spades, etc, I'm showing her little diamonds, but she has sterling from $130 and some great brushed gold.
5. Nicole Miller's Bridesmaids Dresses These are only carried in the soho location, but I was blown away by these flirty dresses. I wanted some for myself!!! Here is a peek of a sexy red number. I can't tell you how many times i've had to wear red bridesmaids dresses and hated it, but somehow this looks sooo fresh to me!
6. Gemma Redux Jewelry. Full disclosure, this is a company owned by one of our former clients. I knew she had this jewelry line, but after the wedding she was sweet enough to send over a few pieces as a thank you for our hard work. (thank you!) and I was blown away. I can imagine something bold pieces like these for a gal with a simple, j.crew strapless gown- and making it super spicy with this amazingly bold necklace.
7. Boudoir Photos. I'm a prude, but this is the NEW thing in wedding photography- or I should say PRE-wedding photography. I can't post anyone's photos up here, but I should say that Mel Barlow does amazing boudoir photos! If you don't know what they are, basically you do sort of a lingerie shoot for your hubby to be prior to the wedding day and they make a wonderfully sexy present.
8. Small Plates. Ever since Stanton Social opened here in NY, the small plate rage has been going and going. It's basically small portions and dinners of many courses. More and more it's been something we've been doing for weddings- offer guests 3 or 4 items of your favorite foods instead of sticking to one huge entree!
9. Water Taxi Beach. Have a get together with your bridesmaids and groomsmen at this amazing New York Treasure. Water Taxi Beach is the out of this world oasis located in Long Island City and overlooking the East Side of Manhattan. Hop on the Water Taxi and get some of the best burgers and snacks in town. If you want to reserve a table, you can do so with all you can eat food and beers for about 4 hours at a time. They usually have some amazing DJs and there is always a volleyball game going on.
10. The Paloma. This is the GREATEST signature drink for you summer brides out there. And it will certainly loosen your guests up! The Paloma is a mexican wedding favorite and Mayra and I have taken it on as our summer cocktail: tequila with grapefruit soda (a.k.a. squirt, or for more authenticity a Grapefruit Jarrito). Think margarita without the sour!
BONUS: Tim Russert. This has nothing to do with weddings, but all the election talk has me crushing on Timmy. I love how they always say he's been crunching numbers all night. Maybe he has, I don't know..... But he always seems knowledgeable. And he wrote Big Russ and Me.